History

Peace

In 1896, our parish was founded and dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel. Then in 1902, his Lordship, Bishop Thomas Whiteside (who in 1894 had been appointed as the 4th Bishop of Liverpool), laid the foundation stone and dedicated the church to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception.

The Church of Our Lady Immaculate, Bryn was designed in the style popularised by the famous architectural Pugin family, and opened on the 21st October 1903 with a High Mass sung by Bishop Whiteside. In 1955, the consecration of the church then took place on 8th September (the birthday of Our Lady), and holy relics of 2 very early Roman martyrs - Saints Speciosi and Fructuosi, were placed under the altar stone during High Mass which was celebrated by Archbishop William Godfrey (who later became Cardinal Godfrey, Archbishop of Westminster).

For 100 years, the church has been a central part of the community and parish, being served by 13 priests, the current Parish Priest being Father John Gorman.

The Priests
Rev. John Gorman

2009 - present

Rev. Anthony Reynolds

1997-2009

Rev. Vincent Cunnigham

1979-1997

Rev. Joseph Connery

1976-1979

Rev. Henry McCaffrie

1969-1976

Rev. William Lancaster
Rev. Dennis Joseph Kelly

1967-1969

Rev. Patrick J. Monaghan
Rev. William O'Rourke

1958-1967

Rev. Henry Turner
Rev. Eamon O'Brien

1951-1958

Rev. James
Smith

1944-1951

1940-1944

1930-1940

1904-1930

Rev. John Aloysius Smith

1896-1904

Be Inspired
Our Lady Immaculate
Church

Contact Us

01942 727271

Downall Green Road

Ashton-in-Makerfield, WN4 0LZ

Privacy notice, please visit http://www.liverpoolcatholic.org.uk/privacynotice

@2020 by Our Lady Immculate Church. Proudly created with wix.com

  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey YouTube Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon